CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 11, 2024

RECAP: IATSE, Union Members Power Historic 2024 Democratic National Convention

IATSE: From August 19 to 22, the 2024 Democratic National Convention (DNC) at the United Center in Chicago was union-made, with IATSE members from Locals One, 2, 22, 33, 46, 59, 84, 110, 476, 600, 695, 700, 720, 728, 762, 769, 800, USA 829, and ACT producing the historic event. IATSE used their skills to make the DNC go off without a hitch in a clear example of how IATSE members’ work in the entertainment industry intersects with political campaigns and public service.

1 comment:

Carolyn Burback said...


It is cool to read about how the entertainment industry an intersect with events outside of theatre, film, and theme parks. I think what we do, while it is art and takes a lot of work and specialized skills, is a very superfluous endeavor but seeing it applied in areas of conventions, political gatherings, etc reminds me the multitude of applications our industry can reach into. I found the section of voting toolkits for IATSE members interesting seeing that it probably is difficult to vote if you are frequently jumping states for different projects. I also noted how this was a Democratic National Convention and made me wonder if there are as many IATSE workers for Republican conventions only because our industry statistically leans liberal. I hope that in my future after college I am able to find applications of my degree in areas not strictly related to theater or film.