CMU School of Drama


Thursday, December 07, 2023

"Barbie" Costume Designer Jacqueline Durran Unpacks That Eye-Popping Wardrobe

The Credits: British costume designer Jacqueline Durran, unlike Greta Gerwig, barely felt any attachment to Barbie dolls during her childhood. On the other hand, she’d enjoyed a fruitful collaboration with Gerwig on Little Women, for which Durran won an Oscar. So when the writer-director invited Durran to design clothes for Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as life-sized dolls in her feminist comedy Barbie, Durran promptly pivoted 180 degrees from Little Women‘s subdued 19th-century aesthetic and conjured a candy-colored wardrobe inspired by Mattel’s line of plastic figurines.

1 comment:

Luna said...

I really enjoyed reading this article. Even though the Barbie movie came out a while ago I think it’s still cool to read about the production and the production design specifically. This interview was with Jacqueline Duran, who was the costume designer of the film. I really like her work and she’s very well-known and I think she did an incredible job with the costumes for this movie. They truly ended up bringing us into Barbie's world. I was really surprised to learn that Jacqueline Duran didn’t really play with Barbies as a child because she absolutely nailed the Barbies aesthetic I believe. I like that she referenced older clothing, and she took a lot of inspiration from the 80s as well which made the costumes feel really retro, fun and doll-like. I thought it was interesting when she said that Barb looked in the finale and is built like a human dress instead of a Barbie doll dress. I think that is very symbolic and it worked really well with the end of the movie but I also thought it was interesting that they had different Construction techniques when they were making costumes for dolls.