CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 13, 2022

See behind the curtain at the Byham Theater with Yinzer Backstage Pass

nextpittsburgh.com: I was a “theater kid” in high school, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to explore this 119 year-old theater in Downtown Pittsburgh. John Mumper, director of theaters and facilities for the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, and Ann Urwin, the theater’s operations manager, were my tour guides for the day. They let me check out every backstage nook and cranny.

1 comment:

Marion Mongello said...

I have always had a fascination with seeing a behind the scenes look at theaters. I only ever really worked and understood the one in my high school, where I would spend practically all of my time in and knew every nook and cranny and nuance of the space. This is why seeing other theaters is so incredibly exciting to me- I love learning the varying ways theaters work and how each different aspect has a unique purpose, and how although generally there are the same pieces of technology in theaters, the little differences are so exciting to figure out. Watching this tour was so interesting, and really highlights the beautiful artistic choices in the architecture. I love the depth that they went into, and how they described many aspects of the space. Seeing the backstage was also super interesting, and gave insight into how they are organized.