CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Lorraine Hansberry: The Life Behind A Raisin in the Sun

New York Theater: Near the end of Charles J. Shields’ biography of Lorraine Hansberry, the third such book I’ve read in as many years, the author mentions the five-story townhouse near Washington Square Park that Hansberry bought with the money she earned from the success of her play “A Raisin in the Sun.” It was her home for the final five years of her life, until her death in 1965 at the age of 34.

1 comment:

Sophia Coscia said...

“A Raisin in The Sun”, is one of my favorite plays. I read it in my sophomore year English Class. I cherish the play, but really more so, I cherish the musical version of the play by Lorraine Hansberry because it was the first show I did during my multi-year internship at the Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe. Despite all of this interaction with the work, I hardly knew any of the things mentioned about Lorraine Hansberry in this article. I think this really resonates with the writers point on how sometimes theatre goers are clueless on the writers and prefer to stay that way. I suppose this is why dramaturgical work is so important. Regardless I was really intrigued by the fact that she was involved with the nation’s first lesbian rights organization, The Daughters of Bilitis. Hansberry was a powerful, talented, trailblazer and her history is complicated and undoubtedly have an impact on her written work.