CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 14, 2020

Renewing the World (or the Theater, at Least)

The New York Times: When a new play from one of Germany’s leading avant-garde theatermakers sells out a 2,000-seat venue, you know the world’s gone topsy-turvy. Imagine Robert Wilson debuting a show to a full house at Radio City Music Hall!

Yet, since October, a huge revue theater in the heart of Berlin, the Friedrichstadt-Palast, has been selling out every night it presents a new work from the acclaimed writer-director René Pollesch.

1 comment:

Bianca Sforza said...

I first started reading this article with no clue where it would take me, and this was a fun journey. The first thing that I loved about this article lies within the first image. The subject of the image is a group of performers on the stage of Friedrichstadt-Palast in Berlin. During the spring break of my freshman year of high school I got to go on a trip to Paris, Berlin, and Florence where we got to see a lot of interesting theatre and architecture. This was back in 2016 and I had no clue what I really wanted to do with my life yet, at least not for another 6 weeks. While on said trip in Berlin, we got to go see a show at this very same theatre called THE WYLD. That show is part of the reason I love lighting design. I love being able to read articles that show this fantastic space continuing on amazing work.