CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 11, 2012

Press Release: Carnegie Mellon’s School of Drama Opens Season With British Comedy “The Rivals,” Oct. 4-13

Carnegie Mellon University: Carnegie Mellon University School of Drama’s Subscriber Series opens its 2012-13 season at 8 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 4, with a stylish, sexy and funny production of “The Rivals” by Richard Brinsley Sheridan. Guest artist and renowned British director Annie Tyson will direct the performances, which will take place in the Purnell Center for the Arts on CMU’s Pittsburgh campus through Saturday, Oct. 13.

3 comments:

Rachael S said...

YEAH, THE RIVALS!!
I watched a tech rehearsal for this and I thought everything was stunning. The acting was great, each character seemed to have their own distinct personality. The set seems like a really cool experiment that ended up working really well.
I especially liked the dancing during curtain call. The costumes and giddy music combined with superb dance moves, well, it made me wish I could ballroom dance. And the glitter (was it glitter?) falling down at the end was a nice touch. I've also heard from people who have seen the full show and also thought it was excellent.

T. Sutter said...

I went to see this production last night (Friday night) and I was extremely impressed with everything involved with the production. These productions often provide a myriad of challenges in terms of making it enjoyable for the audience. This is most definately not the case for this production. The audience was lively and ready to be immersed in the world being created. I did notice however, that the audience took a while to get into the show and patience was needed to get initially into the story. However, that patience was well rewarded with the wit and talent of the actors.

Matt said...

I didn't realize Michael Chemers was still the faculty to contact regarding dramaturgy like the press release says.