CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 26, 2012

What's In Adam's Toolbox (Circa ILM Model-Making Days)

Tested: Adam's told the story of how he built his metal toolboxes back when he was at ILM, but what about the tools and supplies actually inside? Fortunately for us, he meticulously documented all the contents of these toolboxes and has shared that document with us. Along with the alphabetical inventory of the supplies he used to build models, Adam also provides annotations of what some of the tools are useful for and why he prefers them. For example, did you know that doctors' tongue depressors are an essential modelmaking tool that serve multiple purposes?

2 comments:

Luke Foco said...

This is a great insight into how and what work Adam did back before Mythbusters. The part of this article that I found to be reassuring is that he had many home made or re purposed solutions to common problems that he found. This list is also very extensive and those boxes must have been very heavy and obnoxious to load into the car. He also made the case for buying better quality on things that you use frequently and I am now looking at the Wiha tools. I am a major proponent of buying quality tools as much as possible. With that said I also liked that he looked at his 4 in 1 screw driver as disposable because I have bought 4 of those for my father for fathers day because they are useful until they fall apart.

Akiva said...

Adam is one of my builder hero's. It's always great to hear what he thinks about different types of construction and tools. After all nothing really beats years of experiences when your figuring out what works well in the real world of construction. Since I don't have those years of having worked in the field the next best thing I can do is read what works for people who have had those years. One thing I found unexpected on the list of tools was all the wire. I would not have thought that belonged in a tool kit because it seems like more a material. I suppose that wire can be useful in many ways that I had not thought of.