CMU School of Drama


Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mastering the art of arts management -- CMU program holds symposium at 25

popcitymedia.com: There are a lot of reasons to celebrate the 25th year of Carnegie Mellon University's Master of Arts Management program, says director and alum Kathryn Heidemann. "It's still a fairly new field," Heidemann notes. "In the past, there have been MFAs mostly focused on the creation of art and MBAs focused mainly on the management of business." CMU's program is "unique and innovative," she says, not least of which because it is housed in a management school and partners with a school of the arts. Not only does it offer students the chance to learn how to run an arts organization, "it prepares our students to excel in a variety of fields.

2 comments:

tspeegle said...

Should our students in the PTM program be taking MAM classes? They often take PPM and PRM. I feel that we are being trained to lead organizations. I wonder if our training overlaps those in the MAM school?
When researching schools I thought about attending a Arts Management program, but I felt that the notes and bolts of the Theatre would be better for my career aspirations. I worry that we offer too many top level managment degrees. Are those job positions that should be earned from the ground up, or is it acceptable to get a degree and go straight to the top? I'm on then fence...

MONJARK said...

Like Taylor, reading this article made me think about how drama students could benefit from MAM classes. I think the diversity of interests in which undergrad drama majors want to pursue post graduation makes taking MAM classes more interesting to some than others, but for Grad PTM students, it seems that taking some of these classes could be paramount in helping them discover what is most important to them in the way of where to go manage post graduation. In general, I am sure coming up with Cirriculumn is not easy, but this could be a great place to draw inspiration.