CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 03, 2020

Tech Focus: New Bose SoundComm B40 Headset Joins The Arcadia Theater Intercom System

ProSoundWeb: Seats for 1,150, a crew of over 100, nearly a dozen resident companies and a nonstop production schedule – there’s a lot to coordinate at the Arcadia Performing Arts Center in Arcadia, CA.

The venue’s technical director, Keith DeLuca, and production manager, Martyn Tyler, manage whirlwind of scheduling, hiring, equipment, tech support, client relations and beyond. Running the theater has never been an easy job.

1 comment:

Margaret Shumate said...

I'm…thouroughly confused. I really want to believe that these headsets are as good as this article makes them out to be, and that certainly seems plausible. Bose has done pretty will with active noise cancelling, and they've been in the intercom market for other industries for a while, so I don't doubt their ability to make a pretty good headset. I desperately hope they have. Honestly, anything to see the downfall of ClearCom's horrible grip on theatrical coms. But this article does more to make me mistrust these headsets than want them. The article reads like an advertisement targeted at people who have no idea how sound or sound systems work, and certainly people who have never used a headset in a theater setting. From the use of standard descriptors and concepts like they're some sort of cutting edge technology ("Bose has performed significant research to understand what makes communication or audio intelligible... by lowering the intensity of the extreme high and low frequency audio") to the misunderstanding and misapplication of basic audio terms (using "binaural" instead of "stereo"... not the same thing), this whole article gives me scam vibes. I kept glancing up and checking that I was still on prosoundweb, where one would generally expect authors to understand sound. I'm not sure if this was written by a Bose sales representative who's used to marketing earbuds to consumers, or if something is really wrong here, but I'm much less inclined to buy these after reading this glowing review than I was before.