CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Theatre During Self-Isolation: Danger as Opportunity

The Theatre Times: Theatre has survived thanks to its mobility and potential to exchange creative ideas. Since its inception, it has been open to the circulation of different practices, approaches, and conscious action. It is a platform for communication – an exchange of ideas, or partnership if you will. However, the clear identities and cultural roots of individuals do not lose their significance, because theatre cultures meet, collide, and ultimately interact.

1 comment:

Natsumi Furo said...

Just like other industries, I do agree that this crisis is an opportunity for theatre companies to adapt to new technology. I have an impression that theatre industry is very much behind in those digital infrastructures, since they rely too much on the value of live theatre. It is also a good thing that theatre companies are groping for ways to contact with the audience. However, I find audience reaching the theatre is much harder than the other way around. This might sound like a paradox to what I just said three sentences ago, but I, as an audience, value the sense of liveness in theatre, and cannot feel as connected as being in the theatre when watching online contents. I never fall asleep in the theatre, but when I am watching online contents I do. I guess my point is that considering how theatres found a way to adapt to new circumstances as the restoration of the theatre is too facile and optimistic…