CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 23, 2020

Sustainable Practices for Arts Organizations in the Era of 5G and IoT

AMT Lab @ CMU: When it comes to sustainable, environment-friendly business practices, arts organizations have more often been criticized for being on the opposite end. Arts Council England’s annual environmental report released earlier this year shows that museums generate 41% of the total carbon footprint despite making up only 8% of the total National Portfolio Organizations (NPO).

1 comment:

Bridget Doherty said...

I will jump at the chance to read about anything relating to the intersection of art and science, especially when it involves environmental considerations and sustainability measures. My dad works for AT&T and will talk about his job at any opportunity, so I’ve heard a lot about the roll out of 5G and the Internet of Things, which, as a private citizen, sounds a bit scary. I don’t think I’ll ever need or want a smart fridge telling me that I’ve ran out of eggs, but who knows. Normal evolves and shifts with the times. My mom didn’t think she’d ever use her email address when dad set her up with one in the late 90’s. I haven’t yet heard about how 5G and IoT could be harnessed to further promote sustainability efforts, but it does make a lot of sense. If you’re constantly collecting data from something, you can learn how to optimize its features and operating system to any number of parameters.