CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 30, 2020

Indigenous Theatre and the Climate Crisis

HowlRound Theatre Commons: This pepeha is how I introduce myself on formal occasions. When asked by Chantal Bilodeau (co-founder of Climate Change Theatre Action (CCTA)) to write about the intersection of Indigenous issues and the climate crisis in relation to theatre, my pepeha was my first thought. It’s a monologue Māori perform to embody our place in the world wherever we might go. We introduce our mountain and river first because they are the natural world we all come from.

1 comment:

Mitchell Jacobs said...

This is such a powerful article and I'm kind of disappointed I'm not seeing more comments on it here on 'News From the "Real World"'. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the challenges of our own culture and not notice the struggles happening elsewhere. I don't think we can be blamed for that a lot of the time because with so much happening every day in the major world news, it can be hard to sift through to the deeper issues. Reading about the treatment of native populations is always shocking to me, but it makes so much sense that climate change and industrialization is reshaping their culture and therefore their art. Art is one of the most universal ways of expressing culture and current issues, and the work described in this article is really groundbreaking. I just hope that it reaches the audience that it needs to, and not just in Canada but across the globe.