CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 10, 2019

Backstage with Theatrical Dresser Kari Kramer

Theater Reviews + Features | Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh City Paper: Name: Kari Kramer, Spring Hill
Title: Theatrical Dresser
Where? Freelance at large houses: Benedum, Byham, Heinz Hall

What do you do? Before-inventory, setting costumes in place, mending, ironing, steaming. Make sure everyone has their bow ties on straight, the right earrings, tie them into a corset. During the show, changes in the dressing room and the wings.

1 comment:

Annika Evens said...

Dressers in theatre have never been someone I have worked with until this past winter break. This has also never really been a job I had thought about because at my old theatre the one who helped with quick changes was always a crew member or the assistant stage manager. But over break, I was the SM intern on a show at a regional theatre and during rehearsal, I was in charge of costume tracking and timing quick changes so once tech came I worked very closely with our dresser. I really enjoyed getting the opportunity to learn about this role in a production that I had never thought about. Likewise reading this article was very interesting as well. I found the most interesting thing to me that the dressers in the olden times were often the wives of the stage crew members just helping out. I was also surprised to find out how small of a community of dressers there is in Pittsburgh, and I was not surprised to learn that this is mostly a female dominated industry.