CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 09, 2018

Bricolage Midnight Radio's Frankenstein is true to Mary Shelley's vision

Pittsburgh Current: It’s amazing to think of how many stage, film and TV adaptations have been made of Mary Shelley’s classic novel Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus. (I counted over 80 on IMBD.) And even more startling to realize that almost none of them actually had anything to do with Mary Shelley. (Even the Kenneth Branagh version which, though called Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, wasn’t really. And, as a side note, guess who played the Creature in that one? DeNiro!)

1 comment:

Sidney R. said...

I have more often than not encountered book adaptations to be vastly different from the original piece. The first time I truly remember being disappointed was when after seeing The Hunger Games while I had absolutely adored as a trilogy. I kept asking, “Where was this scene?” “Why didn’t they explain this better?” “Why does that character seem so much less interesting?” As I continued to reach and watch films, I realized there will always be a discrepancy. I appreciate how Bricolage is making an effort to bring back the true, original story of Frankenstein that is essentially a tragic story of “emotional anguish and self-torture” and not horror. The themes are much deeper than the way hundreds of adaptations have been portraying it. The skewed perspective even made me believe that the character of the Creature was named Frankenstein, rather than the scientist, whom the story if truly about.