CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 09, 2014

Life lessons offered in ‘Book of Ezra’

New Pittsburgh Courier: Actor. Spoken word artist. And now playwright.

Leslie Ezra Smith has come full circle creatively. He will be presenting book one of his one-man play “Book of Ezra,” which he wrote and is starring in, at the Pittsburgh Playwrights Theatre from October 4 through the 25. The production was produced by Playwrights founder and producing artistic director Mark Clayton Southers and will open the theater’s 11th season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is there some reason why he couldn't just tell stories to his son?
That was the question running through my head during this entire article. He could fight for his family in the real world. Why take it to the stage? Will that even help anything? Is he having so many problems with his family that he has to write a play about it?
While I'm sure that this could mean a lot to many people that have had failed lives/troubled teenage years, I think there is a deeper problem here. I mean, I never had a good relationship with my father either, but I didn't screw up my life royally (yet at least). That can't be the reason that people would come see this show. Family troubles isn't really a thing that would make an interesting show. I don't believe that this show will bring in a wide spread of audience. The only possible people that will come are Smith's fans, the theatre's regulars, and people who had family issues. That isn't such a wide audience. This play will fail because it doesn't reach enough people. There are plenty of people in theatre that don't have messed up home lives or that weren't trouble makers in middle school. This show is not relate-able.