CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 31, 2014

Dance preview: British troupe Michael Clark Company to make Pittsburgh debut

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The career path of London-based choreographer Michael Clark has never been predictable. Growing up in Aberdeen, Scotland, he couldn’t let on he was a dancer as a kid there in the early 1960s. “I’d get my head kicked in,” he said in a BBC interview in 2011. He went on to train at the Royal Ballet School in London and with such modern dance mavericks as Merce Cunningham and Karole Armitage. At one point, he worked with artist Sarah Lucas attaching cigarettes to gnomes as art.

1 comment:

Becki Liu said...

This looks really cool and it would have probably been fun to go to (It was last night). Just from the two pictures, his style of interpretation looks very striking. I really like it! I think I've actually seen pictures of his work before! I think what makes dance so exciting is the interaction with the music, the costumes, the movements and the dancers themselves. I just watched a video of some of his work and it's so interesting because he uses such unconventional movements while still working with the techniques used in dance forms like ballet and modern dance. You can see that the technical aspect of his work is very strong and that the dancers themselves are trained and very in control of their bodies.