CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 08, 2026

Interview: Playwright Robin Gerber of THE BEST MEDICINE at the Odyssey Theatre

BroadwayWorld: Written by playwright and bestselling author Robin Gerber (pictured, courtesy of the artist) The Best Medicine finds humor in a situation most people would never think of as funny: caregiving. Inspired by Gerber’s experience caring for her husband, who has Parkinson’s disease, the play is a solo comedy starring Caroline Aaron (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) about love, loss, resilience and finding joy in unexpected places. It premiered at Great Barrington Public Theater in August 2025, and now the West Coast premiere is being produced by The Odyssey Theatre Ensemble, presented in partnership with Parkinson’s Community Los Angeles.

1 comment:

Prudence Dwyer said...

What a beautiful and heartbreaking concept for a comedy. I think, as I enter the adult world, I've started being kind of haunted by thoughts about my parents and the universal march towards the end we're all locked into. Not to share too much, but as I get older, I have to understand that my parents are as well, and no one ever makes it out alive of... well, being alive. Bad poetics aside, I was really moved by Gerber's account of people coming up to her after her 4 minute stand up shows to thank her for speaking so candidly about her experience. It's kind of nauseating to think about how many people work as unpaid caregivers for family members, and how little we even think about them. Even a singular open mic bit can really change someone's whole day. The magic of art!