CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 02, 2026

A Nuanced and an Idealized New York: Two Productions Show Us the City

joeysims.substack.com: Near City Hall in Lower Manhattan, a semi-neglected public green called Collect Pond Park sits tucked away between imposing city courthouses. It was to this park that I was led last Tuesday evening by a voice in my ear. My instructions were to seek out “The Gardener” and, upon approach, introduce myself with the coded greeting: “It’s all a garden.”

2 comments:

mai b said...

I think it is really cool how much different forms of theatre have become popular in the modern day, as well as different way to integrate the city into the performances. My first thought when reading this was about the sunset boulevard walk that would happen during the show, where the performers would leave the theatre and walk around the block with the live feed playing into the theatre. This let even people not attending the show to get a glimpse of performance and it started to explode in popularity after people had seen it happen, similar to a trailer. Although this ‘show’ this is not a drill seems more like a walking tour than it really is a “show”, maybe an interactive experience might be more fitting. I think this is cool though because it lets anyone go out and explore the city but have a goal of what they want to learn, not just wandering aimlessly

donkey kong said...

I really appreciate how the article incorporates puns that double as lyrics from the songs in the movie. It made the article pleasant to read and also echoed the idea of bringing KPop Demon Hunters to life and making it feel “immersive” really well. I am surprised to see how much fame and popularity the movie has gained for an immersive experience to be created around it, as I thought there were a lot of mixed opinions about the movie. A lot of people didn’t appreciate how the songs in the movie could have threatened existing artists in the K-pop industry. I like how there are so many accessible forms of entertainment, like an escape room, carnival, VR experience, and a bunch of challenges, where I think friends can just turn up and enjoy themselves. It’s also sweet to see how the event accommodates for younger audiences, allowing everyone to enjoy the fun.