CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Unemployed in Connecticut: An event planner shares his story

Business Insider: I was laid off from my position as director of events at the Sheraton Stamford hotel on March 18. I got into event planning about 20 years ago, and I'd actually almost retired right before taking the Sheraton job, but an old friend of mine convinced me to go back to work. My daughter had just gotten engaged and I was going to take care of the wedding bill, so it felt like a good time to be back.

1 comment:

Jin Oh said...

This article (and the other two that’s from the same site but with different people as well) was interesting as it was based on more individual experience compared to the other articles that mainly discuss the loss of big corporations. How his experiences were termed made me sad, especially when he coined it as an early retirement. Unlike some of his co-workers that were looking for other jobs, he persisted in his field and did not consider switching his job. My concern is, however, is that the “normal” world that we would get back after COVID would be different from what we previously had. I know there are already people around me that have adapted to online meetings and even prefer them to in-person ones. Regardless, I really hope the world to recover soon so that people with passion can easily continue doing their works, and possibly those who have lost their jobs due to COVID could get them back.