CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 06, 2019

streaming worship services

Church Production Magazine: In the landscape of current church technology, streaming video has risen to become one of our most powerful tools. Every year, greater efficiencies in encoding, compression, and transport of video streams enable worship content to be viewed with increasing quality across a full spectrum of devices. However, the popularity of streaming hasn’t increased simply because it is a technical marvel, but because it does something very important for both the church and worshippers.

1 comment:

Alexander Friedland said...

When I clicked on this article, I didn’t realize that it would be so technical or rather I didn’t really know what to expect. All the issues with streaming worship services that I didn’t think about because I thought if the technology existed and it should be used seamlessly impress me. However, in thinking this, I forgot that change takes time. Streaming worship services seem to be a relatively new thing and it would make sense that not all tech support for churches are well versed in this type of technology. Something that the article didn’t mention that I thought it would, was that streaming a worship service is very different from actually going to a service. Part of this difference is being in a sacred space and the other difference is being surrounded by other worshipers while in the service. Though I am no longer a person who regularly attends religious services there is something that is quite magical about being in a church or synagogue reciting things that have been said for millennia that I feel like people would miss through a live stream.