CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 22, 2019

A Hong Kong Take On An American Classic: In Conversation With Tim Yip And Septime Webre

The Theatre Times: Half-way through his second season as Hong Kong Ballet’s artistic director, Septime Webre is preparing what is by far his most ambitious show to date – his adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic American novel, The Great Gatsby. To help him, he has brought in Tim Yip, one of Hong Kong’s most successful cultural exports, to design the production’s set and costumes.

1 comment:

Sophie Nakai said...

I've never seen the Gatsby ballet so I really don't know much about it but I have heard things from my friends who went and saw it when it was at the Pittsburgh Ballet. They said it was pretty good but some of the tech aspects were really bad. I am assuming that that is only really relevant to this version so I hope the Hong Kong Ballet does it better. I love the photos that are in this article of the ballet. The costumes and make up are perfect and I think that having asian leads is so smart especially since there is a lot of excessive wealth there right now. I want to see real production photos of this because I want to see the entire company in costume and character. I'm pretty sure the Hong Kong Ballet is one of the best in Asia so I hope that this is a success.