CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 27, 2019

EU's Copyright Directive Passes Despite Widespread Protests -- But It's Not Law Yet

www.forbes.com: Despite widespread citizen protests and criticism from legal scholars, tech companies and human rights advocates, the European Parliament has voted in favor of the Copyright in the Digital Single Market Directive. The measure is intended to catch European copyright law up with modern technology, but naysayers claim internet censorship is on the horizon.

1 comment:

Iana D said...

Like most things, there are pros and cons to this directive, and I really resonate with both sides in different ways, so I’m quite torn. On one hand, I support the protection of small content creators, musicians, and artists, and understand what it feels like to have your work taken and used without your permission online. On the other hand, I stand by the protection of freedom of speech and expression. I don’t know enough about the history of the directive to state fully whether or not I support it, but I do support the conversation that’s happening, and as always, I support a healthy protest. Since Article 13 (or 17, now) seems to be the big issue, I would be interested to read about the rest of them. Perhaps there are areas of this directive that are worth exploring and passing into law, but as far as I can tell, it seems like we’re pretty far from full implementation of the directive at the moment, so there is still time for the voices of European citizens to be heard.