CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 22, 2019

Post-Industrial "Lear" Enlivens Carrie Furnace

Pittsburgh in the Round: Quiet no longer, the Carrie Furnaces National Historical Landmark is the the site of intriguing and inspired events. As the Rivers of Steel Heritage Site website says, “While production may have stopped on the site in 1982, the era of Carrie as an artistic muse was just beginning.” When Pittsburgh’s steel industry waned, the blast furnaces were stopped after 125 years of production.

1 comment:

Sebastian A said...

As I write this I will be most upfront, I have never read or seen King Lear, but I understand the gist and I understand the why behind this production. The muse of the steel mill is fascinating to me. Urban exploring is a bewildering and enchanting modern phenomenon that mixes are Indiana Jones like sense of adventure with very real trespassing laws. But when you are allowed to go into these types of place I am yet to determine if it enhances or completely destroys that sense of thrill. There are lots of shows which I could see be performed here. What about Into the Woods with hints that the Giant is actually the death of the steel industry. It adds a dangerous American steampunk style, one that is not overly tattooed folks dressed up in plastic gears and pleather for cosplay, but decades of hard work in what was once the center of American industry.