CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Carrying On Our Cultural Responsibility Through Theatre

HowlRound Theatre Commons: My ancestors are grounded in the districts of Puna, Kona, Hilo, and Hāmākua on the island of Hawaiʻi. I come from generations of people who are rooted in this land with stories that are longing to be told and need to be heard. I have often questioned myself in search of my place and responsibility to my family, my ancestors, and to future generations. I believe we all come to a point in our lives where we need to discover what our purpose is in this life. For me, it came by way of hana keaka Hawaiʻi, or Hawaiian theatre.

1 comment:

Ella R said...

I think some of the strongest theatrical experiences I’ve had are with plays that are multilingual or tied to a culture different than my own. There is something so insightful and beautiful when one has the ability to experience theater in another language and get a glimpse into another world. Puakahiki Kaui Kaina has written this amazing article about her journey to understand how to respect her ancestors and have a career within the theater industry. Through her thesis project, where she was able to retell a mo’olelo, she was able to feel as though she was regaining tradition for her Hawaiian culture - which was so destroyed by the United States colonizing Hawaii in the 1860’s. Culture is an extremely important part of human identity. I really enjoyed this article as it was just beautiful to read about a person’s journey with theater and how theater is a platform for the Hawaiian people to reinforce their age old stories and traditions.