CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Inclusion and the Unknown: Pittsburgh Fringe Festival 2018

Pittsburgh in the Round: I’m sitting at a coffee shop in the North Side, typing away at first draft of my coverage for the 2017 Fringe Festival, which (for me) began with Joey Buchecker’s Betsy Carmichael’s Bingo Palace. I think about Roger Ebert’s old maxim: when in doubt, write what you saw. It’s a good rule to live by as a critic, because there are times when you become overwhelmed by a show, or in this case a series of shows, and your only recourse is to succumb to experience.

1 comment:

APJS said...

Its interesting to know that the Fringe festival in Pittsburgh is one of the newest fringes in the US, because being from Florida I have have strong ties to the oldest fringe in the US. I love the Orlando fringe Festival so much. Every time I go its like seen my theatre family at a reunion or theatre picnic. There is just such a strong feeling of community, and we get to see some new interesting work. Some good some not so much but whats the harm so just enjoy it. Its the closes thing to a team sport for theatre, at least in the orlando fringe, because you get to root for you show or shows and hope they win all the little awards at the end. I am excited to go to other fringes and see what people from a different places has to offer and what different views they have. I really encourage every to experience a fringe festival once in your life, not more than once. To really become involved and get a true experience you have to also know the community.