CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 29, 2018

Lavalier Microphones

Transom: You may have noticed a lack of coverage of lavalier mics here on Transom — they’re absent from our gear guides and tips on techniques. Our default response to “what lavalier should I get?” has long been . . . don’t. We pretty firmly believed that the sonic compromises of lavalier mics were not worth the benefits. But if pushed, we were willing to admit that there might be times when a lavalier could be the right tool.

1 comment:

Sydney Asselin said...

I have used lavs only a couple of times in my limited sound career, and every time I have hated them. In high school, we had a couple of wireless lavs, and I really only had to use them for a couple of panel- style events held at our school. I really only got them to work without much ambient noise or clothing rustling on people that were wearing suit jackets with no other neck adornment (no ties, chunky necklaces, etc.). They were just so finicky that it seemed almost like a waste of time to use them. I, though, can appreciate the function that they serve; it is almost impossible to get a speaker unused to a microphone to hold a mic up to their face when they talk. I remember reading an article about how they captured the live singing when filming Les Mis (2012) by putting tiny hidden lavs on every singing cast member on camera. I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of routing that they needed to control that many wireless mics in one system.