CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 22, 2018

Music Copyright 101: Sampling, Covers, Mixtapes & Fair Use

theproaudiofiles.com: You’ve seen the words “All Rights Reserved” contained in the liner notes of a CD or in the purchasing agreement of an iTunes file. What rights do those words give the copyright holder?

You would probably be able to identify some of them: that the music and the recording are protected by copyright, that the owner of the copyright reserves the right to copy the music, distribute and sell the music, allow others to pay to use the music, and prevent others from making unsanctioned copies of the music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Copyright law is crazy. So many different ways to do something. But the bottom line is this, as an artist, my work is copyright protected, even if I don’t officially file it as such with the federal government. I am a photographer. All of my photos are protected against unauthorized use by the mere fact that they were created by me. If someone takes one of my photos off of my website or Facebook and uses it without my permission or claims it as their own and I can prove that I own the original, then I can sue them in court for infringement of my work even if that photo is not part of any federal filing. This article goes along those lines, harmony, words are not protected, but the completed work is. This is important for know. If you are an actor in musical theatre and you want to cover a series of Broadway songs, you need permission from the copyright holder of the songs to make that recording. That completed album, will also have it’s own copyright. Important to know.

alex xander said...

Does mobile phone have the best quality ringtone? Are you satisfied with your ringtone? Do you feel bored and want to change? I will mention the most favorite ringtone in 2018 that I usually install here: Ringtone 2018

These are ringtones that I recommend to anyone to refer and install without spending a lot of time:

- Dil Diyan Gallan ringtone
- Devak Kalji Re ringtone
- Tere Dar Par Sanam ringtone
- Magenta Riddim ringtone
- Laung Laachi ringtone

Best quality ringtone in 2018 here. Free ringtones for everyone here. Quickly install your favorite ringtone for your mobile phone. Thank you for your attention.