CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Songwriting team of CMU grads works on musical for Pittsburgh's CLO

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: It's a lot like the chicken-egg conundrum, the question put to songwriting teams: Which comes first, the music or the words? In the case of Michael Kooman (music) and Chris Dimond (words), which is not as important as who. Altoona native Kooman was studying musical composition when he took a leap and entered a Carnegie Mellon University class for playwrights.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, you know, they always say that once you step into theater, it sucks you in and never lets go. It's awesome that they have written this many things together and stayed together the whole time. I feel like they could be the next Rogers & Hammerstein. I'm also glad that such a successful connection was made through something as simple as having a class together. Friends get a lot of things done.
I really admire anyone that can compose or write songs. I have no talent for it at all. I have taken music theory classes. I have tried re-writing songs for my friends, but none of my attempts ever work out well or they are too close to another song. It is a LOT harder than it seems. Try it sometime. I bet that you will write something that sounds like a theme from your childhood.