CMU School of Drama


Monday, July 02, 2018

The Renaissance Tradition of Using Cadavers in Drawing Classes Is Still Alive

Artsy: Surprises were rare in Herbert Danielson’s undergraduate Art History 101 class at Ohio Wesleyan University. Lectures followed a predictable slideshow of greatest hits, a well-trodden path to Western art appreciation devoid of canonical twists and turns. But one anecdote, shared almost in passing, left the young artist-in-training thunderstruck: Renaissance
master Leonardo da Vinci
, the professor said, systematically dissected human bodies in order to improve his figure drawing skills. Danielson’s classmates winced with disgust. He was riveted.

1 comment:

Emma Pollet said...

Whaaaat this is so wild! Part of me feels like this would be really cool, and the other part of me knows I would definitely be disturbed. I guess ever since I learned that Caravaggio would pose deceased prostitutes as models for his paintings, I have never looked at cadaver drawing the same. However, some of the pictures show that the bodies are covered and just a limb is visible to the artist, and I feel like that is an ethical way of going about this. Since people typically only donate their bodies to medical research, I doubt that they consent to having their bodies drawn by art students. Also, the interview with the neuroscientist is really insightful. It is cool that he points out that art students have a higher attention to detail (aesthetically) than medical students, such as an attention for highlights and shadows caused by bones under the skin.