CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 13, 2014

RE/P Files:The Coming Of Age For The Once-Maverick Touring Sound Business

Pro Sound Web: First introduced to the public in 1985 by JBL Professional, the new Concert Series represents what is perhaps the first attempt by a major manufacturer to address the growing need for pre-manufactured speaker systems, complete with all accessories.
In recent years, several firms have introduced factory-built enclosures that have found acceptance in both the touring-sound and installation-contracting industries, and a few of them included accesories such as cables, dollies, and flying hardware.

1 comment:

Mike Vultaggio said...

I think that this article is incredibly awesome. For me the idea of how the audio business has changed since the 80s. I think the years of the Grateful Dead Wall of Sound are totally insane. I always say that I think I was born in the wrong decade, the only way I'll ever experience the sound of these systems and their beauty is through crappy youtube videos and DVDs. That makes me sad. BUT there will be a day where I have the opportunity to design a super awesome rock show designed to sound like an 80s concert and I can guarantee that I will use some of the vintage equipment as long as I can get my hands on it, its a long shot but a man can pray you know.