CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 24, 2022

Omicron hampers Broadway. Fewer tourists are there for just a score of shows

NPR: After a shaky December, when as many as half of Broadway's shows were shut down because of breakthrough COVID cases, things are on a more even keel; there were no canceled performances on Broadway last week. But the winter doldrums have hit – with temperatures and tourism plummeting, fewer people are seeing shows. The most recent box office figures show roughly two-thirds of seats filled, many at a heavy discount.

1 comment:

Louise Cutter said...

To be honest I have not been updating myself on Broadway's return for a while now. I have always been interested in what will happen to the industry as a result of Covid. To be honest, I have no idea what will happen. I can see a world where some shows come back successful, but not all, which will eventually lead to more returning and Broadway surviving. I can also see a world where the industry has to pause for longer than expected. It all depends on how much longer the virus lasts, in my opinion. As the time increases, people's interest in the already someone dying art form seems to be dwindling. The possibility of Broadway not existing is something I have thought about for a while, as it is one of my career goals. What will I work towards? Honestly, it has helped me better understand what I want to do as an artist, and where my values lie.