CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 20, 2022

Broadway theaters to dim their lights in honor of Sidney Poitier

DC Metro Theater Arts: To commemorate the life of prolific actor, director, and cultural icon Sidney Poitier (1927-2022), who died of heart failure at his Beverly Hills home on Thursday, January 6, at the age 94, the Broadway League has announced that the Committee of Theatre Owners will dim the lights of their Broadway theaters for one minute, at exactly 7:45 pm, on Wednesday, January 19.

1 comment:

Sophie Howard said...

What struck me as I read this article was the fact that I had never heard of Sidney Poitier before. While I think it speaks to my own lack of knowledge on actors and directors in the theatrical canon, it also speaks to a lack of diversity in my knowledge of the theatrical canon. I’m sad I only learned about him and his artistic significance after his passing. I want to look over the pieces he was in that I know of but not anything about (I really need to read A Raisin in the Sun). I am glad about the progress that the theatre industry has made over the past decade. While theatre is still egregiously inequitable in many cases, I’m happy to see and hear about more legendary black actors in media and reporting. All thats left is to dive into more of Poitier’s work and diversify my own knowledge of american theatre canon and beyond.