CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Work/Life Balance and the Importance of Mental Health

SoundGirls.org: In these work-from-home times, they can be challenging. What a lot of people don’t mention is how important mental health is. Some employers or clients will treat you like garbage and expect you to act on their every beck and call. Especially when you’re new to an industry. I’m a freelance sound designer and I’ve had my fair share of clients who call me at 2-4 AM asking me why I’m not working on their film.

1 comment:

Owen Sahnow said...

I liked the way this article talks about setting boundaries. It does mention that this is difficult to do due to fears of not getting more work, but long and unreasonable hours are something we have too much of, especially in this industry. The fact that someone would be surprised the writer isn’t working in the middle of the night is really toxic and needs to stop with them. Turning off phones or using do not disturb is really good. I’ve come to a realization that for the most part, there’s no reason anyone needs to reach me at night. She could probably turn her phone off all the way! I wonder if a solution to this setting “official” boundaries is having something like set working hours built right into the contract. The issue with that I guess is that people who freelance tend to have many different jobs at the same time so they aren’t working 9-5, monday-friday on any given project.