CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Interview: Costumer Lisa Sass Talks Costume Design For Feature Films

theseriesregulars.com: We’ve all heard of costume design but have you ever wondered what a costumer does? It’s fairly self-explanatory, but as a costumer you’re doing anything from costume fittings to creating looks for the characters to helping the costume designer’s vision come to life. Recently, The Series Regulars had the privilege of speaking with costumer Lisa Sass who carries a list of impressive credits to her name including Star Wars: Force Awakens and Star Trek Beyond.

1 comment:

Jem Tepe said...

I think what really made costumes my first choice for my concentration is the option of not only being a costume designer, but also a costumer. I find both lines of work so intriguing and I think either would just be a lot of fun. I can't imagine how awesome it would be to help actors transform through costume and be able to handle iconic costumes like the ones in Star Wars and Star Trek. Also, because I guess I'm focused on theater more than film or TV, I hadn't considered the impact of climate on costumes. I always feel bad for actors in movies wearing basically nothing in the snow, so it's cool to know that that's the costumer's job to make them more comfortable. One of my goals for my undergrad is to get a costuming internship, and working as an assistant costumer on a major production would be a dream come true.