CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Travels of a Scenic Artist and Scholar – The Richmond Scottish Rite, October 24-26, 2020

Drypigment.net: It has been a busy month, and I am currently in Richmond, Virginia. The Richmond Scottish Rite Theatre appeared on my radar again last month. The timing was less than ideal, since I was packing to leave for the Tabor Opera House in Leadville, Colorado. On September 17, I received word from Art DeHoyos that the Richmond Scottish Rite was selling their building and had no plans for the historic scenery collection.

1 comment:

Rhiannnon said...

I reaLily enjoyed looking at all these drops. They are very traditional and beautifully painted. I’ve always wondered if old drops like these could be reused in shows or hung in some sort of gallery. If they were to hang these in a gallery they would need to be in quite a large space in order to step back and get the full effect. The reason I decided to be a set designer\scenic artist is that the art is temporary and is taken down and the wood is repurposed. With drops however it’s basically just a giant painting and we don’t take it apart after painting it. Can drops be repainted and used again? I don’t like the idea of things only being used once. It might create some problems like warping in the canvas or cracking from too much paint but I honestly think that’s better than just tossing it or letting it gather dust. I’m glad this scenic designer could catalog them before the theater closed.