CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Diane Warren, Susan Stroman, & Weinstein Survivor Louisette Geiss Join Forces for #MeToo Musical

Women and Hollywood: Screenwriter and Harvey Weinstein accuser Louisette Geiss is teaming up with 11-time Oscar-nominated songwriter Diane Warren and Tony-winning theater director and choreographer Susan Stroman to tell her story. Deadline confirms the trio are bringing a filmed version of their #MeToo-themed musical, “The Right Girl,” to a live audience at Barrington Stage Company in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. The venue called the show “the first new American musical before a live, indoor audience since the pandemic began.”

2 comments:

Jem Tepe said...

This has me very conflicted. It's made by someone who has lived through this first-hand so I do not have much stake in this, but it just feels very tone-deaf, especially because it's a musical. If it was a play on this subject I would probably be more on-board. I don't think this is the kind of story that would be taken seriously with people bursting into song every so often. I mean, who knows, maybe it'll end up being revolutionary, but making it a musical just feels so corporate. Even if you look at the credits of the other folks working on it, one of them is known for Oscar bait songs from inspirational biopics. The other, however, worked on "The Scottsboro Boys", which is an equally baffling idea for a musical, but it did end up being incredibly impactful and well-received by critics and audiences. So maybe it can be done? The idea of something being marketed as a "#MeToo" musical just doesn't sit right with me, and I'm interested to hear what people think.

Maureen Pace said...

I agree with Jem, it is going to be interesting to see how the audience and critics react and if they like the musical. I am really glad to see that there are projects being put on that talk about #MeToo- we need to continue to have those conversations. I am struggling to picture a musical, but I think Broadway musicals are the stereotypical idea we tend to think of. This may have a very different feel and communicate the message well. I did find it mildly strange that they dedicated an entire paragraph to the COVID regulations for the actual theater they are screening the show; I suppose it makes sense given that they don’t want the theater to receive backlash for lack of information but I would’ve liked to see the article put a little more focus on the actual show.