CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 30, 2020

A Musical Middle: Adding Depth & Musicality To The Core Of Your Mixes

ProSoundWeb: Here we’re going to look at everything that happens in the mix between the foundation and the vocals. It’s the peanut butter and jelly between two slices of bread, and it’s extremely important if you want the song to sound musical and powerful. The instruments that live in this area will give the song its musicality and key signature and encourage people to sing along, so let’s explore how we can wrangle all this musical information together so that all the instruments are clearly heard and identified yet working together to form a beautiful “musical middle.”

1 comment:

Jin Oh said...

I decided to click on this article right away since our Studiocraft class had a mixing workshop recently, and I actually got really interested in mixing after playing around with the program for a bit. I really do I agree with the article saying that mixing is an extremely essential part for song to be powerful, and even a small adjustment can change the impression or the strength of the song. I enjoyed reading this because the content was fairly basic and straightforward compared to the other articles that I have read that sounded more detailed. I am glad that I could read the article while I am “agree”ing with it, instead of just feeling like I am learning the information. It was especially helpful to read the insight and tips regarding EQ (Equalization), since that was the part I particularly had fun with during the mixing workshop. It was also new to read how using the “visual common sense” is available even with the sound technologies.