CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, January 14, 2014

6 Creative Cover Letters for Job App Inspiration

mashable.com: Your cover letter is supposed to catch a prospective employer's eye, but that's easier said than done when it's buried under a pile of applications. As a result, nearly every professional has his or her own advice when it comes to writing one of these formal introductions and bids for employment.
There's a typical formula many follow, but some job hopefuls have tried more inventive techniques to get their applications noticed. While success isn't guaranteed, these individuals chose more creative paths on the road to employment.

3 comments:

Jess Bergson said...

Some of these "cover letters" were very creative and personal. However, I think that this style really only works in an arts or creative setting. For example, my father is a lawyer and if he received a cover letter that was in the form of a video, he would not take it seriously in any sense of the word. However, most of these people have really geared their cover letters towards the exact job they were applying to. If you are applying to a job at Instagram, and create your cover letter in Instagram's style, you will definitely stand out. Although I am not sure that I would personally use any of these ideas for my cover letters, I think this article brings up a larger issue that it is important to really research a company and cater your cover letter to that company. Cookie-cutter cover letters just don't cut it anymore.

Unknown said...

I especially like the Google ad one, weather or not it is particularly classy or tasteful, it is impressive and inventive. The one thing that worries me about creating an interactive video or a animated short movie about ones self, is the probability of appearing cheesy or insincere.

Thomas Ford said...

I'm in the process of applying to summer internships, so I was hoping that this article could help me with my cover letter. Unfortunately, although some of these techniques are interesting seem like they could be successful, I don't think I'm going to be employing any of them. Of all of the ideas shown in the article, the one that stood out to me the most was the one that bought google ads. Although it's not really a cover letter, it's a really cool idea and a funny way to get noticed.