CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 17, 2013

SGrosh Backdrops and Drapery Debuts Backdrop Lift

Stage Directions: Grosh Backdrops debuted their new Backdrop Lift system for industry leaders last week. The Backdrop Lift system was designed and developed internally by Grosh Backdrops and is a telescoping system is designed to be easy to setup and operate, and can accommodate a 17-foot-high by 40-foot-wide backdrop. It is meant to help organizations that may not have all the equipment necessary to include backdrops or drapery in their events, or want an easier alternative to pipe and drape. The system—which has been in use by Grosh for several months—is available for purchase or rental.

2 comments:

AJ Cook said...

The Backdrop LIFT seems like nothing more than cranks and truss. I feel like we could easily achieve out own lift using our current truss and lifts. The connivence of the lift is that it comes with smaller truss and easily crank-able lifts. I feel that this might be more sturdy and accept more options than pipe and drape, but I wonder about the flexibility, angles, and the room for expansion. What would make this more interesting to be is a way it could be made better for theaters without fly lofts. The fact that the legs protrude from below the drop make it seem like a tripping hazard to me and an eye sore. Im sure they thought about counterweight, etc. but that is a downside for me. I also wonder about the ease of changing backdrops on the fly, especially if you want more than one if you use it in a theatrical setting.

Unknown said...

It's definitely a neat idea and has it's uses. I'm not a big fan of the feet but I understand why they designed it that way, otherwise the footprint is probably to small which would make the structure tippy. I'm not sure that I like this for theatre as much as I do for trade shows. I wonder if there's a version of this design where the travel cases became the base of the unit...might make install a little quicker, display a little sexier.