CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Costume, Colour and Semiotics of Heathers

clothesonfilm.com: The use of red in art often reflects themes of lust, war, and blood – all of which this film uses it for throughout – and giving it to Heather Chandler as her signature colour suits her character perfectly, for all these reasons. But above all, the colour red here is a symbol of power, and wearing the red scrunchy shows everyone around her that Heather Chandler is the leader, like a queen wearing a crown. The opening shot in fact shows her putting on the scrunchy before leading the other Heathers in a somewhat cruel game of croquet.

2 comments:

TylerJ said...

This was a fascinating article. I oftentimes try to avoid reading into color choices and symbolism in shows, movies, and books because I prefer to guess and create my own opinions about things rather than being lead on by what is put in front of me. But Heathers has always been one movie that you can't help but follow along with the color choices and meanings. It's just such a vital and integral part of the storytelling. Without it I don't think Heathers would be as intriguing and wonderful movie. Although it would be interesting to think about how the movie would be different if Kubrick or Lynch had directed.

Becki Liu said...

This article really excited me!! This is actually one of my favorite movies and there are so many things about this movie that are brilliant. Color does play a large role in the movie and it is hard to look over. As Tyler said, without the colors in the design, the movie just would not be the same. There were some things mentioned in the article that I had never realized, for example, when Heather Chandler drinks the draining fluid, her blue tongue is veronica taking over her life. I think that is so cool! I just saw the movie yesterday for the fifth time and now I am definitely going to watch it again!