CMU School of Drama


Saturday, August 31, 2013

507 Mechanical Movements, with animations

Boing Boing: 507 Movements brings to life Henry T Brown's 1868 treatise "Five Hundred and Seven Mechanical Movements, Embracing All Those Which Are Most Important in Dynamics, Hydraulics, Hydrostatics, Pneumatics, Steam Engines, Mill and Other Gearing, Presses, Horology, and Miscellaneous Machinery; and Including Many Movements Never Before Published and Several Which Have Only Recently Come Into Use," and includes selected animations of the mechanisms. Hypnotic and educational!

4 comments:

David Feldsberg said...

I am so excited this is happening!! This book is an amazing piece of reference that everyone should receive on their 13th birthday. So many things that I have always wanted to know how they work can be explained within the pages of this book, but there were always some diagrams I could never wrap my head around. Now that they are animated, movements like the one described in 223 are much easily understood. I can't wait to see the rest of them when they put the entire collection up!

Unknown said...

This book has been in my Amazon wish list for a while. I didn't know there was web version of it. It's certainly much better with the selected animations.

I enjoy that most of the individual movements are complex enough to be applied as a complete solution for a given task, but are fundamental enough to be combined together to form a solution for a very specific challenge.

Philip Rheinheimer said...

To be honest, I had no idea what I was looking at for the most part. That being said I would be very interested in actually learning about each diagram and its applications.

caschwartz said...

This is really awesome! This makes things much easier to understand the motions that the more complicated movements undergo. Once it is finished, this will be a very valuable resource.