CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 11, 2008

Passing the rock musical torch

CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Stage: "For Chicago fans of the rock musical 'Rent,' there really is 'no day but today.' The Broadway production of the late Jonathan Larson's hit musical will close at the end of June. It's also likely that it's the end of the road for the national tour of the show as well (producers: prove me wrong)."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad that Rent is finally closing because it is such a good musical. The article mentions interesting similarities between Rent and Spring Awakening, however, if Spring Awakening becomes the next Rent, I don't think it will be because of the similarities in scripts or origin, but because of the artistic decisions made by the director. Besides listing similarities (which was done in a rather unclear manner), this article didn't actually tell much about the stories of the shows, only their production history.

Anonymous said...

So people say that Rent is 11 years 11 months running too long for its content. But I feel like Rent really became the bastard show in Broadway ever since it got Pulitzer Price for the book. But Spring Awakening seems to be pretty consistent with its reviews and box office results. I understand the producers may want the instant spark like Rent had, but I feel like the consistent and gradual growth may be better for the show in long-term

Anonymous said...

I'm not usually a huge fan of musicals, but I really liked rent and always have. It's also cool because I saw it a while ago, before I ever knew I would get into theater, and then saw it again this winter. While my thoughts were significantly different, I still thought it was good. It, when it first opened, was different, and it's unfortunate that it's going, although it has been running for a long time.