CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 08, 2013

Why I Stand: The Definitive Case for the Standing Desk

www.avnetwork.com: What is the most resilient parasite known to man? Anyone who has seen Inception can answer that question. It’s not a virus, a bacteria, or an intestinal worm. No, the most resilient and highly contagious parasite on the planet is… an idea. I had an inception moment roughly a year ago when a highly contagious parasite overtook my brain and proved impossible to eradicate. However, this parasite was not implanted in a dream state by a team of slick-suited men and the chick from Juno. All it took was an infographic and a simple phrase: sitting is killing you.

2 comments:

Camille Rohrlich said...

I read this article about a week ago and since then, I've been a lot more aware of how much I sit. I sit a lot. And for the first time I'm actually thinking about how this could affect my health. It makes sense that sitting would be detrimental to us because human beings never used to spend this much time sitting, but I guess it's not something many of us actually think about. I don't know how ready I am to switch to a "standing desk" however. First of all, most of my time spent sitting down is in class, and I don't know how my professors would react to me standing through their lectures. I also just don't know if I could bring myself to care enough to stand all day. I should. But instant gratification generally is stronger than future benefits from a distant future.

Unknown said...

I'd love to have a desk like this! I've become vastly more aware of how harmful constantly sitting can be ever since I injured my back earlier this year. My chiropractor has been constantly harping on me ever since to get up and move around, and stand during class or work when I can...and so on and so on. But, it's not easy when your desk requires you to be sitting to work effectively. It also might ensure that I'd be less likely to fall asleep while drafting something, as I've done on more than one occasion.