CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 16, 2013

DeWALT 4.0 Ah 20V MAX Metal Cutting Circular Saw DCS373M2 - Review

Tools In Action - Tools and Gear for the Working Man: Everyone is touting Brushless and 4.0Ah technology, you see it everywhere. Well DeWALT has nonchalantly entered the 4.0Ah battery market with the DCS373M2 metal cutting circular saw. Metal cutting circular saws allow you to cut through material like rebar and steel track in seconds and the best feature is that the steel stays cool. The 5-1/2″ circular saw did a great job of cutting through everything we threw at it. It didn’t bog down at all. It has a 1-11/16″ depth of cut at 90 degrees. It has a blade lock and an included allen wrench for easy blade changes.

2 comments:

Andrew O'Keefe said...

I'm not a big fan of DeWalt, I'll admit. But I'm a huge fan of these saws for strike. The 1" 11/16 depth of cut on this saw means you can cut through a 1" box steel framed flat with a 1/4" lauan skin still on it. One thing I've always wondered about these high speed metal cutting blades is if cutting through wood with them damages or dulls them. I suspect over time it does, but if it means buying two blades per strike, the savings in time might be worth it. Of course a Sawzall works pretty well too with more versatility, so this is a luxury tool for us I think.

Unknown said...

I've been a fan of Dewalt cordless tools for a few years now, I find them to be exceptionally ergonomic and I've been itching to buy a new set ever since they released the 20v brushless system this past year...but it looks like I might be waiting just a bit longer. The 20vXR battery is a nice new development (even if it adds a little weight) and I'm interested to see if it expands to the existing tools in this series! The addition of this tool in the series adds a bit to their competition with Milwaukee, I'd be interested to see a side by side comparison. In addition, Andrew brings up a good point, how much does cutting materials other than metal take a toll on the blade and the saw too for that matter?