CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 02, 2012

Must Watch: Lana Wachowski Speaks About What It Means to Be Transgendered

Women and Hollywood: What ever happens with Cloud Atlas (which opens this Friday) what Lana Wachowski has done in coming out as a transgendered person will go down as a seminal moment in Hollywood culture. She is a high profile successful action director talking about being transgendered and gay, in a town where there are hardly any women directors who do action and hardly any people who talk about being transgendered. Fucking gutsy.

3 comments:

Pia Marchetti said...

There is not much that I can say other than describe how incredibly beautiful I found Ms. Wachowski's speech to be. Rather than tarnish its power by injecting my own philosophy on gender orientation (which I am all too eager to give) into the speech, I instead choose to remain silent. I only ask that if you watch this video, you really consider what she is saying.

Unknown said...

This speech was fantastic not because I found it personally inspirational but because of her way of talking about her life. It was a very simple matter of fact way of talking about it. It made it clear that she had faced struggles but it was over. It made me think it was just a part of everyday life. (Which is not often the approach.) When it comes to this speech there is not really a lot you can add to it. I think it stands for itself very well.

Page Darragh said...

This was a very inspiring article and video. Lana's story was a hard one to tell and listen to. I felt compassion, anger and pride all in one. I would never begin to know how she felt all her life but when hearing her story, I felt anger at those who treated her bad, compassion for what she went through, and pride that she was able to come out and make a happy life for herself. I hope her video helps other transgender people come to terms with what they may be feeling. Even though she is very shy and this was her first speech, I think she did a great job and was very funny...props to Lana!