CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Sound/Show Control Guy's Take On the grandMA2

- John's Blog Main Page - : "After years of work by my CityTech colleagues Charles Scott and John Robinson, we recently got a brand new MA Lighting grandMA2 system at the school. We got two main consoles: a GrandMA2 Full Size, and a GrandMA2 Light; a VPU Video Processing Unit; and network DMX processors. I was lucky enough to sit in on the excellent training session, done by Jason Baeri of A.C.T. Lighting, and I'm going to give you a little perspective on the console from a sound/show control guy's perspective."

2 comments:

Robert said...

This lighting system is ground breaking. It is very cool that you can load the set and the locations of the lighting instruments. This allows you to give the console x,y and z coordinates. I have never seen the ability to enter the z coordinates to tell the light where to go in the space. The console is a great development in lighting with intelligent fixtures and the ability to work with them in this new way. I wonder how hard it would be to enter the set into the system with the locations of the lights and if the time needed to do that offsets the time that you would save in programming. I would love to get my hands on this console and see how well it works.

BWard said...

after takign part in the demo here a few weeks ago, I'm surprised that John left out the 16 digital in pins on the back of the console. While midi, ltp, timecode, etc. are all nice standards for show control, sometimes having a physical switch close is just as handy.