CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 15, 2018

Costume Designer Paco Delgado on A Wrinkle in Time & Jungle Cruise

Collider: During promotion for the film, Collider got the opportunity to go to Disney Studios to sit down with costume designer Paco Delgado and we spoke 1-on-1 about how he got involved with A Wrinkle in Time, the process of collaborating with Ava DuVernay, how the designs evolved, that he loves a challenge, and what inspired him to become a costume designer. He also talked about currently working on the Jungle Cruise movie, inspired by the Disney Parks ride, and how lucky he is to have worked wit directors that have a really strong view on things.

2 comments:

Rachel Kolb said...

This article was so interesting. I think my favorite articles on this blog are the ones where designers and managers talk about their process during a show or the trajectory of their career. I love to hear about how people go to where they are and how they do what they do. It is truly inspiring. My favorite part of this article in particular was the line, “When I read the script, I don’t think about the opportunity as a costume designer. I think about it as an opportunity to be a part of the storytelling.” This is an inspiring mindset and it’s the right mindset to be in. I really want to see if I can adopt this philosophy, because ultimately that is why I am a t school. I am not here to be my anticipated concentration I am here to learn how to become the best at my concentration as a cog in the storytelling machine. Because it is the story that is the unifying factor between everyone in the production and the story that speaks to an audience and inspires.

Unknown said...

It is all about the story! No matter what you are designing for theatre, tv, or film what you are actually creating is something that is there to further the plot and inform the character's condition. I also think it is fascinating that he started out as a math major, not as a fashion designer or artist, it adds a sense of logic and reasoning behind choices rather than just asking "is this pretty?" What he said was very similar to what Ruth Carter said. What they were designing was out of their comfort zone, but they did not put up any barriers, they both were open to the challenge and went into the design process with a creatively open mind. What I think helped him was that the director had very set ideas of characters and overall design concepts which really help, it is not like they gave him a blank piece of paper without parameters and said, design. Even if he did get stuck, you can aways fall bak on the question, is this right for the story!