CMU School of Drama


Monday, July 07, 2014

Differentiate Yourself in an Interview: Beyond Your Background

David Hunt, PE: Per Liz’s column this could be memorable in either a good or bad way. Not asking any questions at all? Memorable – in a bad way. (This assumes, however, that you’re able to get a word in edgewise. I’ve been in interviews where the questions flew so fast that I barely had time to answer, let alone formulate a question to ask as a part of a desired – desired on my side at least – conversation… and then it was “OK, thank you, the next person will be in to talk with you” as they walk out.) Groveling or not knowing the company’s business will also make you memorable in a negative context. Doing your homework is necessary.

2 comments:

Julian said...

This is a very helpful article as someone who is getting ready to interview for college. There are definitely many differences between applying for a job and applying to go to a school, but there is a lot of useful information. For example, I assume the importance of questions and first impressions carries over. I am slightly confused about the leaving something behind. Is that supposed to seem intentional to the interviewer, or do you “leave it behind” on purpose. I’m worried that the second option might just make the applicant seem forgetful. I also am wondering how rehearsed I should try to be for interviews. Is it good to seem like you are answering questions in the moments, or is it better to seem very prepared to the point of having practiced responses. Based off the mention of comedy, it seems like the article recommends more the natural side of the spectrum. In the end, I feel like being memorable is easier said than done when everyone is trying to be memorable.

Unknown said...

Interesting article, though not one I'd say I agree with.

These techniques seem reliable, and are cool to read about, but I wonder if it's in my best interest to put on a completely different persona for the sake of getting a job, or in my specific case, admission. If I need to alter myself and utilize techniques in order for an organization to want me, is it likely that I would be happy there at all? Interviews act as opportunities for a company or school to get to know you personally and assess if you would be a good fit. If you're not displaying your true self, you won't receive an accurate assessment.

I'm generally against the mentality of worker vs. boss, or student vs. teacher.In a perfect world, the employer and employee find a healthy relationship in which one is not constantly trying to trick or belittle the other.

All in all, it was a fun and informative article to read but not one I'll utilize.