CMU School of Drama


Friday, July 25, 2014

The Limits of "Unlimited"

Library Babel Fish @insidehighered: Imagine a service that will let you get your hands on almost any book you want, however obscure or expensive, for a very low price. Imagine the opportunity to indulge your curiosity impulsively and read all you want to without going broke.
We call it Interlibrary loan and if we had to invent it today, it probably would lead to Congressional hearings and new laws banning it - unless some hot tech startup invented it and called it “Uber for books” or something. Libraries rely on the first sale doctrine to share, and our ability to keep it going in a digital era is uncertain.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Call me old fashioned, but I personally can't stand eBooks. Maybe it's the glaring screen, maybe it's the lack of paper-smell, I don't know and don't really care. All I know is that I absolutely hate reading books on an electronic device and there are other like me.

HOWEVER, I know how to put things in perspective. Honestly, there just isn't a market for borrowing books anymore. Public libraries are empty. At my school, there's all but five bookshelves but over a hundred MacBooks available for checkout. We are now in a digital age. Setting aside personal preferences, I can see very clearly that libraries are a thing of the past.

Even the portion of people who still like "real books" don't use libraries. With Amazon at hand, I'm able to order any book I want for only a few bucks and have it within a week. What's the point of borrowing a book from the library, if I can get my very own copy for $0.01 not including shipping?