CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Someone Stop the “Cats” Revival, Right Meow!

The Clyde Fitch Report: “I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!”
What is great about that phrase is you are setting the bar very low for expectations. Cats may be the second longest-running musical in Broadway history (bested only by The Phantom of the Opera), but you don’t often hear people talking about how boring and overdone Phantom is, despite both shows being most closely associated with Andrew Lloyd Webber. The difference between the two musicals is vast — as is the demographic wanting to see them. That is, people willing to give up two hours and 30 minutes to watch a show with better makeup than story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate cats the musical the animal too. (I am sorry if you like cats). They freak me out so much and I don’t know why. I have never liked cats the musical and I plan never to see it again. I have blocked it from my memory. This article is a saint because I truly believe that they shouldn’t bring something back that is dead. This show is boring and to me has no plot what so ever. I have to give people credit about the makeup and costume but other than that this revival is useless. I feel bad because these is a tour going on at the CLO right now and I haven’t heard anything good about it or that anyone has gone to see it. This musical should have never happened and should not come back.

Lyla Bartman

Unknown said...

I've actually always been a huge fan of Cats (the musical and the animal). I completely agree that there's pretty much no storyline, but why does that have to be an issue? For me, the appeal in Cats is in the world it creates for us. The ethereal quality of these creatures we're all familiar with now have a complex inner life, and a mysterious connection to the underworld that we'll never grasp. Also, the music! Just thinking of Munkustrap crooning about the Jellicle Ball is giving me shivers, and come on, who can't relate to Memory? Cats reveals a community completely different from ours, and a society that maybe we could learn from. Cats is not a thought-provoking drama, nor a feel-good campy musical. It's its own category, a certain spectacle that lures the audience in and sets a unique scene. I wish I could be a cat.

That being said, Rum Tum Tugger rapping will be ridiculous.